Posts for tag: Wrinkles
The telltale signs of aging skin—wrinkles, puffy eyes, age spots—may start to appear as we grow older. We can’t fight the aging process, but we can take steps now to help reduce and prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely.
Many factors can contribute to the onset of wrinkles, which are frequently produced by years of unprotected sun exposure in combination with each person’s unique genetic predisposition. Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. As we age, our skin loses its elasticity, is less capable of retaining moisture and is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Wrinkles?
Daily skincare and proper sun protection are important factors in slowing the aging process, diminishing fine lines and minimizing wrinkles.
- Take your vitamins. Many vitamins are good for the skin. Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant found in citrus fruits and dark green leafy vegetables, can help reduce the appearance of sun damage.
- Apply sunscreen. Protecting yourself from sun exposure can help prevent the progression of fine lines. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends applying a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize. Dry skin causes the skin to look dull and aged. To prevent dry skin, apply moisturizer every day.
- Get your beauty sleep. When your body doesn’t get enough sleep, it produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Keep your skin looking and feeling young by getting at least seven hours of sleep every night.
- Avoid tanning beds. Tanning beds emit harmful UVA rays and are never 'safe' alternatives to the sun.
- Take care of your hands. Our hands are often the first part of our body to reveal signs of aging, as they are the most used and exposed parts of the body. Protect the hands by wearing gloves, moisturizing and applying sunscreen.
- Quit smoking. Smoking may damage more than your lungs—it causes skin aging and wrinkles around the mouth.
Like it or not, wrinkles are a natural part of aging. Even the most diligent skincare regimen or the most expensive wrinkle cream won’t totally eliminate your fine lines. You can significantly reduce the appearance of your wrinkles, however. Start taking care of your skin now, embrace your age and love the skin you’re in!
Your facial features change with time. Crow's feet, smile lines, and forehead wrinkles are all unavoidable--or are they? At Hecker Dermatology Group in Tamarac and Pompano Beach, FL, Drs. David and Melanie Hecker are the board-certified dermatologists who can address both your medical and aesthetic skin issues. BOTOX Cosmetic is one of their most sought after and effective treatments, erasing the signs of aging so effectively.
Why skin wrinkles
Several factors change how smooth our facial skin remains as we age. One is collagen, a protein which keeps skin elastic and smooth. Collagen production diminishes over time, thus contributing to wrinkles and fine lines.
Another factor is sun exposure. Too much sun dries the skin, making it leathery and lined. Tanning in artificial light causes the same problem.
Additionally, repeated motion of facial muscles wrinkles the skin. Called dynamic wrinkling, these lines appear in response to frowning, smiling, and laughing. The vertical lines which look like the number 11 and appear between the eyebrows are perfect examples of dynamic wrinkling.
What can be done
Of course, there are invasive surgical procedures which can erase years off facial appearance. The facelift is a prime example. However, few people wish to experience the discomfort, downtime, and expense associated with complex aesthetic procedures.
So, the professional team here at Hecker Dermatology Group in Tamarac offer BOTOX: injectable medications which block the movement of certain facial muscles, allowing any lines and wrinkles to relax, smooth over, and look far less obvious. Comfortable and quick, BOTOX helps people ages 18 to 65 to look and feel great!
They happen right in-office! Dr. Hecker screens patients before proceeding with the injections. A small, fine needle administers this purified form of the botulism toxin. Injections take just a few minutes and cause very mild side effects, such as a stinging sensation and localized tenderness, redness, and swelling.
Regarding therapeutic effects, they may take 7-10 days for full effect. Your rejuvenated, youthful look will last for a few months and then will require touch-up treatments.
Other uses of BOTOX
Aside from its cosmetic benefits, BOTOX has medical applications, too. Dentists use it to treat temporomandibular joint dysfunction, while specialists use it to reduce migraine headache pain and to relieve strabismus (i.e. crossed eyes) as well as rapid eyelid movements and blinking.
At Hecker Dermatology Group, the doctors and their support staff help scores of patients enjoy the benefits of more youthful-looking skin. BOTOX injections could help you, too. For a consultation with Dr. Melanie Hecker or Dr. David Hecker, call our offices at (954) 783-2323. You'll receive treatments appropriate for your best look. We have locations in Tamarac and Pompano Beach!